Monday, March 9, 2009

First Post

First, I’d like to thank you for your interest in our cause. I started this blog as an adjunct to our Facebook group, The Baltimore Scofflaws. Not everyone is into the Facebook craze, so I was hoping to setup something accessible for anyone with a computer. Also, for Facebook members of the Baltimore Scofflaws who’d like the most up-to-date information without receiving daily messages from me, this is your place. I guess I should start from the beginning.

I probably picked the worst time to open my letter. Never go through the mail before you go to bed. You just don’t know what you’re going to find. In my case, I discovered a $603 fine for a $27 ticket from 1-25-06….over three years ago. Without going into too much detail, it was a restless night. I attempted to contact Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson, LLP by phone the next day, however, after waiting 10 minutes on hold, I decided they were decidedly unavailable. Luckily, I work in East Baltimore, and 300 East Lombard Street is a short drive away. I should have known there was more to the story when I walked into the office building and asked, “Excuse me. Can you tell me where…..”

The security guard looked me up and down as he cut me off, “Linebarger? 11th floor. Sign in.”

I thought that was strange. There were plenty of offices in this building. How did he know where I was heading? I found the office, and walked in to see a very large stack of returned mail on the receptionist’s desk. To her credit, she calmly sat down with me and listened to my concerns without ignoring me or hissing the typical static I’m used to when dealing with the city. After explaining my frustration with this predicament, I was told I had one of two options. The first? Provide documentation that the ticketed car was not mine. It was right about then I realized Catch-22 wasn’t such a far-fetched novel. Second option. Provide a written or printed receipt that I had paid the original ticket in full. Which is hilarious, because I had donated the car two years ago. I could request a trial, which I was told could be denied before I ever step foot in court, but without the proper documentation mentioned above, I didn’t see much point in that. I was also told that the City has a policy of not remitting tickets, EVEN if it was their fault. They’ll do it with the proper documentation, a blood test, a hair sample, a co-signer, and the location of your next of kin, but it’s officially not policy.

After weighing my options, I decided to stew about it over the weekend, which I’m glad I did. I caught the tail end of the local news as a man was side-saddling the driver’s seat of his car trying to reach anyone from city hall on his cell phone concerning a ludicrous parking ticket. I instantly empathized with this guy, and realized we’re brothers in the same cause. It suddenly dawned on me that I wasn’t alone, and with strength afforded in numbers, we had a chance. I ran to the computer, searched Baltimore Parking Tickets on Google News, and found this article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29516875/ . Apparently, 80,000 of us were getting boned to the tune of $132 million dollars. It was amazing to feel my sense of total despair change to a sense of empowerment once I learned how many of us there were.

Tomorrow, I’ll post what I’ve already sent out and who I’ve sent it to. Thanks for your interest.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a letter from law firm 3/12/09.
    Telling me I have a parking meter ticket back in 3/6/04 for $23 un-paid.
    Baltimore City wanted $1008.00 for payment.
    Law firm says baltimore city will boot\tow my new vehicle if I don't pay.
    This parking meter ticket was of a tag of a vehicle 2 vehicles ago…
    Law firm said baltimore city is the strictest city and I did have option to pay monthly, but there will be interest and balitmore city can still boot or tow while I'm making payments…
    I was so upset; there is a problem here.
    went to site www.baltimorecity.gov paid 3/17/09
    I feel baltimore purposely waits or would send to old addresses in hopes the costs will raise and in return they make money other ways for the city. Law firm said can't take this to court.
    Law firm said baltimore city will only go to court on this if the vehicle was stolen before the ticket happen.
    I was told by law firm a letter was sent to old address and was returned.
    I don't know why MVA didn't send to current address.
    I don't know why after 8 months living in new address, I get this notice of a meter ticket payment past due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parking Fine Notices Claim Many Owe Thousands
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29516875/
    http://cityservices.baltimorecity.gov/paysys/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edward, I'm very sorry to hear about how the city is treating you. I've got a reporter who'd like to contact you if that's alright. Just send your e-mail address to baltimorescofflaws@gmail.com . Hopefully your story will help get things moving!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason,
    Thanks

    edwardlee2708@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, received a letter from the infamous law firm of Linebarger goggan etc, etc. in the amount of $800++ for tickets I was completely unaware of from '06 & '07. I havn't even been to baltimore since '05. WTF??? I've been advised to just ignore these tickets as the statute of limitations is 3 years for baltimore parking tickets. Is my information correct???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can hardly believe you can ignore it.
    Linebarger is a huge law firm and they would not spend their time on something that they can't collect. I am sure they researched statute of limitation on parking tickets.
    I got 4500 dated back in 2002.
    Looking for an advice on how to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got a letter from Linebarger also like 3 weeks ago stating I owe $820 for a truck in my name which at the time my now ex husband had. When I left him I could only drive one car away. I did not know he had park near a fire h. less then 52 feet in Jan of 2005. I was almost 9 months preg. at the time. He had been pulled over many times I heard from his parents and they never took the truck. We were seprated at the time and later a master found that to be true. With three kids I can not afford to pay this fine that I had nothing to do with. If i take this place my paper work from my divorce will that office drop this fine for me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. It's great to see that at least we're not alone. Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. I hope to be posting some helpful info soon. Basically, a pretty large story should be coming out shortly.

    As far as statute of limitations goes, I don't know how accurate that advice is. Hopefully it will be addressed in the story.

    Carol, I'm very sorry to hear your story. This is awful. Hopefully getting some media attention for this story will get us some answers. I'd try anything you can to avoid paying this fine. I think presenting anything information about your car would be helpful. It can't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Baltimore over 7 years and recently recieved a notification from a collection agency over $8000 for 7 parking tickets ($25 each) that had never been paid. I no longer own this vehicle and have no idea whether or not my car was even in these areas because it was so long ago. I have a court date set for early August and am in need of help defending myself. I have no idea of what the laws are regarding these issues. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anybody have any updated information of the stature of limitations on the Baltimore parking tickets? I have over $12,000 from 2005 to 2008, I have recieved nothing from the city, other than my car was impounded in 2008 and likely has been auctioned off. Can't talk to a live person at the city. Any advise out there?

    ReplyDelete