Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Break in the Case.....

Good News Everybody!

Sorry things have been a little quiet on the Scofflaw front, but here’s the latest. Monday night (5/20), Councilman Bernard “Jack” Young proposed a bill that would cap the fines associated with parking tickets at five times the original face value. You can read about it here:
http://www.investigativevoice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=495:fine-freeze&catid=25:the-project&Itemid=44

He’s attempted legislation such as this in the past, however, it was deemed politically unpopular. Here’s our chance to make a difference this time. This bill has been referred to a subcommittee that is chaired by Councilman Jim Kraft. The more Scofflaws we can get to those hearings, the better chance we have of influencing this legislation. However, he can schedule the meeting whenever he’d like. We’ve been advised to flood his e-mail with requests to make sure the hearings concerning our bill are held AFTER 5PM so those of us with jobs can show and voice our opinions and concerns. So, here’s where you come in:

Councilman James Kraft:
james.kraft@baltimorecity.gov

Fire away! Send him an e-mail requesting an afternoon hearing (AFTER 5PM) and voice your opinion! Our little band of scofflaws has been moving smoothly thus far, and with surprisingly little effort, thanks to the Internet. Here’s a chance for you to take five minutes out of your day and help our cause. Let’s let him know we’re out here and when it comes time for the hearing, let’s fill the place! Let’s show our elected officials the organizational power of the Internet.

Unfortunately, passage of this bill will not mitigate our debts retroactively. Consequently, we still have some work to do on that front (i.e. amnesty). But passage of this bill should prevent this from ever happening again. Councilman Young will be on the C4 show (see link at right) at 1PM today, and I’ll be following at 1:30PM. I’ll post any updates I get and let’s get organized!!!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for heading all this up. I love you for this. If the meetings are after 5pm than you can count on me to be there for sure and anything else you need. Lily Rowe

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI -- I received a call from Johan at Linebarger at my office last week. He denied that Linebarger ever received the letter that I sent them. He was abusive on the phone and threatened to have my car "towed or booted" and "report me to the credit bureaus." I informed him (at his request) of the legal reasoning that I gave in my letter for why their was no penalty on the fine, that the payment was marked paid in full, and that my letter explained that it was payment in full. I told him good luck with his case, but he was not to call me at work any longer and that any correspondence was to be in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking this on. I just got off the phone with a Baltimore lawyer who discussed with me my options. I have a similar story to you, was ticketed just before moving out of town (apparently, but have no recollection of the ticket), received no notices from the city, and now, 6 years later, owe over $1000. A previous lawyer friend-of-a-friend I contacted offered to take the case on for me and since then I have not heard a peep from her. Thanks for nothing. Because I live in the southeast now, I will have to either pay the full fine or take my chances on a court date and a plane ticket to town, or pay $500 to a lawyer to have it resolved.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the cause. sarakate77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about you all just pay your damn parking tickets on time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this as well. I am also a recent victim of these heinous charges. I am told i owe $1149 for a ticket which was (allegedly) recieved in 2003. As i have moved out of state in 2005, i am unable to attend a hearing and present my case to the District Court. These charges are outrageous. Had i known i had a ticket, i would have happily paid it. I have excellent credit and take pride in paying my bills (so shut it crazyworldouthere). I have reciepts for tickets paid in 2004. Why wouldnt someone tell me i had an outstanding ticket? I even contacted the MVA in 2005 to tell them i was moving out of state and needed to change my license to NY. What the hell took SO long to contact me regarding this matter. This is criminal and i am doing everything i can to fight this.
    I will keep you posted as to my outcomes, but if anyone has any advice, i would certainly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete